Monday, December 17, 2012

Tis the Season

Well folks, it's here.  Whether we are ready or not!  just in case, you weren't already counting down the days until the magical morning of December 25th.  Christmas is always a fun time for my family to all get together.  We cook, and EAT and sing our little hearts out.  For those of you who aren't familiar, the Scriber's hold a strong musical gene.  Some are more...(how do i put this)... talented than others, but we can all pretty much carry a tune!  Some of my greatest memories are having Christmas Eve at Aunt Ann's house.  We would sing Christmas carols for what seemed like hours.  Daddy would bring his guitar, along with sheet music for everyone to follow, complete with the direction of myself and cousin Erin. And cue, "it's a marshmallow world in the winter..."
I had originally planned on posting pictures of these proclaimed events, and then I took a good look at myself as an awkward 8 year old with glasses and braces, and decided to retract that thought.  You're welcome. 

So Christmas will be a little different this year, but we will all feel the love just as we do every year.  Because my Mom is so thoughtful and loves shopping for us, she usually is completely finished with shopping by now. She has not been able to do that this year, so the ball is now in Daddy's court.  Daddy is actually a great gift-giver, he just needs to step outside the box sometimes. ;)  This year we made a family decision to make it just about Jesus, our family, and our time together.  The kids will receive gifts, but as for the adults we are taking it down a notch.  *Confession: I enjoy giving gifts, I really do.  Especially when you are just casually shopping, not even looking for anyone in particular and you see THE perfect gift, and you just can't wait to see their face when they open it!!   Well.... i'm just gonna be real honest, this scenario doesn't happen to me very often.  And when it does, I snap into the Christmas Spirit, and move on to the next person on my Christmas list.  So, then i'm back at square one.  And Seriously, WHAT do you give a Dad who already has everything, and if he doesn't... well, he just goes and buys it himself.     

Now, don't get me wrong.  I love a gift.  In fact, I REALLY love a gift.  Perhaps it's my maturity, perhaps it's my overwhelming realization that really, I have everything I need. But either way, As long as Jonathan and I spend every minute possible with each of our family members, my heart will be smiling.  

Oh yea, one more thing.... MAMA IS COMING HOME!!!  Wednesday is the day! (hopefully)  It will definitely be before Christmas, and I can't think of a greater blessing!  Daddy has been bringing her home on Saturdays and Sundays just for the day.  We visit, eat, take naps, just like any other weekend.  Saturday she was walking by herself (whoa!) just like any other day at the house.  Thank you, Jesus!  Our great Physician has prevailed once again! 

We usually spend Christmas Eve with my family, and do Christmas morning at Mama and Daddy's, then head on over to the great city of Shreveport for Jonathan's family.  However, we are heading to Shreveport early this year, spending a couple of days in Shreveport before Christmas, and then making our way back to Ruston Christmas Day.  I've never been to Christmas Midnight Mass.  I am pretty excited about this!  I may be thinking differently when it's 1:00 in the morning and can barely keep my eyes open, but none the less, I am thrilled!  I love that Jonathan's family has many different traditions than mine. These are reasons that we are always doing something new and fun.  Whereas, our families are very different, they are also alike in the way that there is just so much love!  

Merry Christmas from the Walsh's!  May we not be caught up in the stress of Christmas. May we truly value our time with our families.  May we be overwhelmed with Jesus' love, and his promise.  For this, is the reason for the season.

MaryBeth 

No comments:

Post a Comment